St Botolph and St. John the Baptist, Croxton Kerrial
St Botolph is part of the High Framland group of churches.
The oldest part of the present structure are some arches under the tower, which date back to the latter years of the 12th century. The church that we see today dates from the 15th century, and is made from Ironstone. Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a church restoration here in 1866-8. This included re-roofing the church, removing the gallery so that an organ could be used, and refitting and reseating the church using the old fifteenth century bench ends.
There are six bells in the ring here. Three are fairly modern and are from Taylor of Loughborough. Two are re-castings of earlier bells and one is a modern addition to the ring.
The church has some finely carved medieval bench-ends and some mediaeval graffiti. The bench-ends came from a nearby Abbey which was closed down during the dissolution. The church guide tells us that tests on the back boards have suggested a date of mid 15th century. Symbols carved in to the bench-ends include monks, noble men, eagles, lions, dragons and a green man. It is thought that some of these are symbols from those people who helped to finance the abbey.
This church is now open according to Diocesan and Government guidance.
Croxton Kerrial Church is open on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 4pm for private prayer.
Access will be to the Lady Chapel only - please follow instructions on the church door.
We hope those who visit will enjoy the peace and quiet of our lovely village church once again.
Currently, due to the pandemic, our services take place via Zoom, although some are held in our church yard. If you would like details of all our events, please contact the school office and/or Rev. David direct.